Sunday 18 October 2009

Alphabet soup 1 - dissect - Evaluation

This is the feedback I received from another student on the course in response to my typeface for the word 'Dissect'.

WHAT IS BEING COMMUNICATED AND HOW?
I do feel like it communicates really well, at first it took me a little while to properly understand. Dissect is quite clear once seen however, from the skin print down to the bone, very literal but its really effective. I like it. It's quite hard to see what each image/photograph is, but that might be for the best, as it could be quite disgusting, but then it might communicate in a stronger way.

HOW WELL DOES THIS ANSWER THE BRIEF?
It answers the brief really well, existing letterforms have been used and have been altered to show the appropriate meaning. There's been no change in colour or editing which makes it easier to see clearly.

HOW WELL HAS THE IDEA BEEN VISUALLY EXPLORED?
The design sheets clearly show where you started and how you came to what you produced as a result.

WHAT ARE THE STRENGTHS OF THE RESOLUTION?
The strengths of the resolution are how literal it is and how well it communicates the word. Dissect conjures up a lot of images and this would be the most vivid, it is also straight to the point.

HOW COULD IT BE IMPROVED?
Maybe if it was done on the computer it would be a lot more professional and could really try different ways - like letters showing more of the underneath layers.





My response to the feedback.

I totally agree with this feedback, my intention this week was to make the letters clearly but simply convey the word dissect... which I feel I did by keeping a very literal view throughout... which, all in all, is what I feel graphic design is about... visually communicating what you're trying to say... so people can understand what you're trying to say.
I also agree with the idea of reproducing the letters on the computer... as to my knowledge of the programmes at this point, i do not feel i would be able to do this to its best advantage as I would probably spend most of my time trying to figure how to work the programme rather than doing anything productive with the letterforms... maybe at a later date I will be able to re-address this and push this project to its best.

No comments:

Post a Comment