Sunday 18 October 2009

Alphabet soup 2 - For a partner - Evaluation on the original typeface

Partner's name - Chris Anderson

Which personality trait did you choose to respond to and apply to the typeface?
I chose the fact that Chris is very into his music... particularly dubstep and drum & base. I also picked up that he is quite fun and vibrant... and his favourite colour is orange.

What are the reasons behind the design decisions you have made for this typeface?
I wanted to find a font which would look appropriate on a flyer or poster advertising dubstep and drum&base club nights or shows. One that caught the eye, was bold and colourful and then edit it to incorporate more of Chris's personality.

In what ways are the results effective?
I think they are effective in that they achieved my goal. I could imagine this typeface on a dubstep flyer/poster... the orange is very bright and eye-catching.


In the final crit for this project, with the help of Fred and the others in the session I realized that my typeface was not altered enough from the original I used from the internet... so in a way, was plagerism.
I decided following this to take a completely different direction and try to create an original typeface... which followed the brief properly.
I decided to use another answer to Chris's quiz... the fact that he wanted to dress up as a cowboy. There are some really strong visuals surrounding the whole cowboy tradition so felt that this would be an effective way to go.
After creating a few letterforms using ropes as a base, I decided this looked a lot more effective than the previous idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment