Saturday 8 January 2011

Enterprise and Innovation - Task 3 - How will I promote myself?!

What do ʻtheyʼ want to hear? 
What should I say to ʻthemʼ? 
How will I communicate with ʻthemʼ?


The main thing that 'they' want to hear is that I will be an asset to them, both through my way of working and my work. 'They' want something new and innovative, something that will separate me/the work I produce for them, from others. They want to know that I will be a worthwhile investment, worth the money and time they put into me and that I will produce work that will make them look good. 
This is all about ‘getting myself out there’ and there are so many ways of doing this. Bridget outlined in the lecture the six steps for this and this marketing communication mix outlines the areas that a young designer should work in to really get the best of getting themselves known in the industry.
You need to build up a good reputation, that you work hard and that your work is new and functional. I feel that entering as many design competitions as I can in my years at the college could really help get my name out there – if you do well, you get your name on the competition site’s website and books which is a fresh source for possible clients and employers.
Advertising is very high up there in the best way of really getting your name out there.  On blogs, websites, design magazines and ultimately; word of mouth. There is no end to the value of networking. I intend to build up an address book of e-mail addresses of already established designers who can help me in their own way, both with feedback on my work and getting my name out there to their clients and the ever enlarging net of contemporary graphic designers. 



No comments:

Post a Comment