Sunday 22 November 2009

Alphabet soup - Illustrator brief - evaulation

This has been a very interesting project for me to do, as outlined in my 'Ten things I want to achieve' post earlier in the module, one of my main areas of interest/aims for this year is to learn how to use illustrator... and this is the opportunity for it.
I missed the first illustrator induction because of the swine flu I managed to catch... I was completely gutted, but luckily some other people took me through what I needed to know. The second induction was really useful... for someone who's never used the programme I was really excited with the amount i could use it for future projects. Alongside the inductions I decided I really wanted to teach myself some of the techniques by practising... and this project really helped with that as its all about experimentation.
We were asked to trace one of our letterforms from the 'dissect' brief (i chose the 'Z') and adapt it into 26 different variations.
It was so tempting to use the filters and the editing features on the programme... but not only would this be lazy, it would be completely pointless to me furthering my knowledge of illustrator (and give me a bad mark)... so i spent my time experimenting with different features, such as altering the stroke, removing certain parts of the letterforms, adapting the opacity etc.
The fact that we had to keep to one CMYK colour also added a restriction to work in... this made the end result a lot more aesthetically pleasing as an A1 poster.

I really enjoyed experimenting with this project and has been one of my favourites so far. I loved the range of things that we could do with one individual letterform.

No comments:

Post a Comment