Sunday 3 April 2011

Branding myself...

So today I have set about trying to brand myself. 
These are my very first experiments. 
I know I want to work initially in blue, as this is my favourite colour. I am also going to take into consideration Graham's type sessions. I want to use a more 'fun' illustrative typeface, mainly in lower case, to really show 'me'. 

I started off very simply. In a circle. Very un-original but I needed a starting point. These ideas will develop and evolve until I am happy with something. 

Playing around with kerning and type positioning. The default spacing for this typeface (Ballpark Wiener) was too far apart.





I then realised that I wanted to add texture to my image, to add some depth and make it less vector-driven. 
I didn't know how to do this... So I watched a few tutorials on youtube. I have been meaning to do this for a while but always put it off. I am so glad that I have finally learnt how to use it as it will add a whole new level of intricacy to my work.


After a few tries I realised that this blue was too bright, giving it too much of a childish feel. In fact, it was really starting to hurt my eyes. 




Adding a bit more information to the image both added value, and padded it out nicely. 



Type ideas...


Colour ideas...



One thing I found with this typeface was that, when scaled down, the 'N' and the 'M' blend too much together, almost rendering them unreadable. 
Could I use the similarity of the two letters to my advantage? Maybe do some proper blending of the two?

I want a logo which is versatile with colour, to be able to change it according to what I am putting it on.

I also think that the circle logo has been very over-used. I need to be more original. 

As I said... these are initial ideas. 
I may try some hand-rendered ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment