Thursday 21 April 2011

The last day!!!

Today we are finishing up the WHSmith branding and advert layout brief. I've been here 25 minutes and I've already learnt things about type I didn't know. 
Guy really is a brilliant typographer. Everyone in the office keeps talking about the fact he is the best they have encountered in their time in the industry. I feel really privileged having him give us so much of his time to help explain things.
So we had a little progress crit where he gave his opinions on which one of my logos to use and what little things I could do to them to make them look better. 
So he chose the one which looked more sophisticated, but at the same time friendly. 


He taught me about spacing, and how, even though it may be right, the way it looks is deceiving and should override this. He also told me that it is easier to edit the spacing if the logo is upside down, as we don't read the letters... just see them as objects. 

My final design is the bottom one. Slight alterations have been made to make it perfect. 
I also learnt that certain letters have an ink well... little dents in the character which allows space for ink to spill out, making the curve better in print. 


The make the character look very strange close up. 

Now it is time to find the perfect type for the body of the advert. 
These are typefaces I like and am going to show Sadie for her opinion. 











This is my final advert.
We used a typeface called 'Corinthian' for the body type. It was one that we both chose due to both it's readability and because of it's respectable pound sign.
I think, for my first real piece of layout and branding - not too bad.
Guy said it was brilliant what we both came up with in our day and a half of working on it. He seemed genuinely impressed. Which left us with a very gratified buzz.

No comments:

Post a Comment