Friday 1 April 2011

Christopher Goodwin

Christopher Goodwin is a UK-based freelance graphic designer and illustrator. 
I am very inspired by his work and the sheer volume of it shown on his website.
He shows a great range spanning across type, image, print and screen. 
To be honest, there has not been one piece that I have come across by him that I haven't liked in an aesthetic way. 

Typography Example

Xone - Typeface
A typeface inspired by shapes and children's building blocks. a workshop was setup of 'play-time' where a group of us made posters and 3D objects using paper cut-outs and wooden blocks. I responded to this event with an this alphabet.
Details
Truetype / Type one 







Anesthetic of The Unknown
An illustration exploring exsisting theories of gravity and spacetime inspired by the book 'Unweaving the Rainbow' by Richard Dawkins. This is part of a series of illustrations on this theme in collaboration with photographer and artist Chris Jones.
Details


This is my favourite example of work on his website. It is stunning and is very effective in visually communicating what he was trying to portray. 

Steadfast - Version
A university brief called Version. we were asked to pick form a list of very well known paintings and make our own version of them in anyway we see fit. I responded by making a social comment of certain American traits from an outsiders point of view. Incorporating elements of their one dollar bill. The proportions of the painting intrigued me aswell and I used this scale to size the poster and other elements of this composition.
Details
Mixed media illustration / printed on 160gsm satin paper 




I also admire the way he has photographed his print work to really show in his portfolio the way it feels and the standard at which it has been printed. 

Alphabet Book - G
This is my submission a book designed by Gemma Pallett. Artists, deisgners, photographers, illustrators and an architect where asked to create a poster using the a letter of the alphabet. I was given the letter G.
Details
Letterpress / Lino prints and digital media / printed on newsprint 



I was talking to John the other day about how much I enjoyed the letterpress session we did last year and how much I wanted to re-visit it and use it in my work. 
Examples like this really explain why... 

No comments:

Post a Comment