Tuesday 19 April 2011

Heads of State

I came across this design studio when I was looking for interesting music industry design for my new context brief. Their work really struck me. Immediately from just looking at their website and it's layout I knew that I would like the work they produced. After all, web design is incredibly important, I am noticing this more and more recently. Poor design and I turn off straight away, it's bad, but I don't even give it a chance. 
Jason Kernevich and Dustin Summers have been working together in one form or another since 2002. After graduating Tyler School of Art’s militant design program, Kernevich and Summers began making silkscreen posters for Philadelphia’s independent music scene. The graphic and conceptual simplicity of their collaborations made an immediate impact on the burgeoning poster revival in North America. Local clients and small projects paved the way to international acclaim and assignments from the likes of R.E.M., Wilco, and The New York Times. They now run a full-service design and illustration operation, applying their graphic elegance and visual wit to a wide range of clients and projects. They’ve won awards from Communication Arts, American Illustration, Print Magazine, Graphis, and the Society of Illustrators.

Client list
  • The New York Times
  • Starbucks
  • BBDO
  • Ogilvy & Mather
  • The School of Visual Arts
  • The New York Public Library
  • American Express
  • NPR
  • Nickelodeon
  • Penguin
  • Vintage Books
  • Random House
  • HarperCollins
  • The New Yorker
  • Esquire
  • Wired
  • The New Republic
  • Metropolis
  • Los Angeles Magazine
  • The New Republic
  • R.E.M.
  • Wilco
  • Iron and Wine
  • The National
  • Idlewild
  • Modest Mouse
  • Insound
  • Sony/EMI
  • Jade Tree Records
  • Drive-Thru Records
  • Capitol Records
  • Louisville Actors Theatre
  • Virgin Mobile
  • The Boston Globe
  • The Washington Post
  • The London Guardian

Very impressive list. 

A couple of campaigns they have done. 
This is very interesting to me. It reminds me a lot of one of the ISDT briefs we have been looking at for the next part of the module where we have to visually represent a song using its lyrics. 

POSTERS


These are some of the music/band posters they have produced. As said copious amounts of times, I would love to create work like this. Both because it looks nice, and because it is brilliant at drawing people to shows. Eye-catching work leads to people reading the posters. 

BOOK COVERS
These are very interesting to me as personal design is very much something I would like to try out. One's own interpretation of a book's content, visually represented on the cover. 
I have stated a lot that this is an area of graphic design that I am very much interested in. 



LOGOS




OTHER






This is a design studio that I am very much going to keep and eye out on. 
They have a very distinctive style which I love... and very much work in areas that I am interested in. 

Very inspiring as I embark on the next part of the course!

No comments:

Post a Comment